Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What is Consumer Law Ready?
Consumer Law Ready is a specialist training programme for micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), helping them understand and comply with the latest EU and national consumer laws.
Question: Who is behind the project?
Consumer Law Ready is a project funded by the European Parliament and the European Commission, managed in cooperation with the European Commission.
BEUC (the European Consumer Organisation), in a consortium with Eurochambres (The Chamber of commerce in the City of Brussels, Belgium) and UEAPME (the European association of Craft, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises), is running this training project.
Their respective members at national level are also deeply involved to maximise the outreach to the business audience.
The project started in January 2017 and will run during two years, until December 2018.
Question: How does it work?
The project works at different levels:
At European level, BEUC and its partners, together with specialist trainers and legal experts, train one national trainer per country. These are known as “lead trainers”.
Lead trainers will train 20 to 30 regional trainers in their own country on European and national consumer law. Regional trainers are then equipped to give training events to SMEs in their localities. Trainings are given in the language of the country of origin.
Online learning resources allow busy entrepreneurs to learn all content online by reading documents, taking part in quizzes, watching videos and finally passing an e-test validated by a certificate.
Question: What does the project cover?
The project is composed of five Modules:
- Pre-contractual information requirements (module 1)
- Right of withdrawal (module 2)
- Consumer rights and guarantees (module 3)
- Unfair commercial practices and contract terms (module 4)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) (module 5)
Question: Does the project cover domestic or / and cross-border contracts?
The project covers mostly domestic contracts but includes a lot of indications on cross-border contracts.
Question: Does the project cover online and/ or offline trade?
The project covers both online and offline trade.
Participation in the project
Question: Who can participate in the project?
Consumer Law Ready is open to owners and employees in SMEs of all sizes, across the European Union and in Norway and Iceland.
To enroll in a Consumer Law Ready event in your locality, simply navigate to the SME portal and search for events that work for you!
The project at local level
Question: Are local trainings for free?
This project is financed by a European funding so Consumer Law Ready training, content and promotional material is available free of charge to all trainers, national or local.
Local trainers may charge SMEs for their training sessions, however, they are encouraged to provide the training for as low a cost as possible.
Fees charged should cover organisational costs and the trainer’s time.
Question: Where and when do local trainings take place?
Training times are set by national and local Trainers. Please log on and view the schedule.
What online resources does the project offer?
Question: What online resources does the project offer to SMEs?
Consumer Law Ready is a unique and specialist training programme which comes with comprehensive online resources to cater for busy entrepreneurs!
The project website provides you with access to online learning resources that contain:
- Reading material: the 5 topics covered by the project are explained in “Modules”, texts presenting EU and national consumer law in your language, including several toolboxes and checklists
- Short videos
- Quizzes to cement your learning and have fun
- An e-test giving you access to a certificate
- FAQs and a Forum where you can ask your questions and gain knowledge from experts and from your peers
Question: What online resources does the project offer to trainers?
For trainers, material to prepare the trainings is available online:
- Teaching material as the Modules and Power-Points presentations in your language and adapted to your national specificities template documents such as participants’ lists, certificates or data protection forms, promotional tools (printable and editable leaflets and postcards, social media posts and online banners, pictures, etc)
- Online learning resources like videos, quizzes and an e-test that you can refer SMEs to these FAQs and a Forum where you can ask your questions and gain knowledge from experts and from your peers
- Only approved trainers (“CLR trainers”) have access to the material.
Question: How do I register?
To register, please complete our "Sign Up" page.
Certain information pieces are considered optional during sign up and may be provided at a later stage however, we do encourage you to provide all information at the beginning because it allows us to cater more accurately to your needs.
On completion of sign-up, you will receive an activation notification to the e-mail address provided. You will need to click the link in the email to gain full access to the website.
If you complete sign up but do not receive the activation e-mail, please contact email@example.com in English, German or French.
Question: What if I'm having a technical issue with the website?
If you have a technical problem with the website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in English, German or French
Question: I didn’t find an answer to my question in the FAQs: what can I do next?
You can navigate and check on the website Forum and if necessary, post a new thread. Your question might interest other visitors and will be answered quickly.